“It obviously wasn’t an ideal situation, but it was something that had to be done. My team helped me keep positive,” said Bhupathi, after he and Sania defeated Nathalie Dechy of France and Israel’s Andy Ram 6-3, 6-1 to win their first Slam together. While this was Bhupathi’s 11th, Sania got her first. “It’s always a dream to win a Grand Slam. It makes it more special because it’s with someone that I know for so long,” said Sania
“This was my first Grand Slam final, and nerves obviously come into the picture. But I think we stepped it up after the first few games, and then suddenly we were on a roll,” she added.







The 22-year-old was playing in her first Grand Slam after surgery, and this will be a comeback to remember. In Sunday’s final, her stinging volleys left the opposition flat-footed on a few points, and her efforts were praised by her doubles partner. “I was telling Sania after the match that I’ve played with her so many times before, but the volleys today were by far the best I’ve seen her play. She’s playing after a long time, but it doesn’t surprise me at all to see how fit she is.

“Our opponents have won a Slam before, so they obviously know what they’re doing, but we came out all guns blazing from the start. I’m looking forward to playing other Slams with Sania too,” said Bhupathi.

0 comments